Tuesday, January 3, 2012

no more Christmas...

We "undecorated" the house today :( It looks very empty and sterile. I love Christmas. I love the lights, the scents, the warmth, the colors, the feeling I get when the tree is lit and it seems like every wall in the house glows, too. But it was time.

This year I wanted to do a Blue Christmas theme. Not because I love Elvis, or the song. But I have some gorgeous scrapbook paper that inspired me, so I totally rolled with it :) During my "blue Christmas" Google search, I came across a project that Martha Stewart did a year or so ago (really, what hasn't she done?) and I LOVED that it combined Christmas, recycling (sorry...upcycling), and glitter. FABULOUS!

As I was folding...and folding and folding...a memory seemed to resurface. I've done this before! Girl Scouts? Sunday School? Who knows, but a bit of my childhood came back to warm my heart.

This is so easy! All you have to do is break the spine of the magazine (open the mag way up and fold it back on itself), then fold the top corner of the magazine page into the center where the pages meet. Then take the folded edge you just made and fold it towards the center as well (think paper airplanes). You'll have a triangle at the bottom that you'll fold up and inside the bottom edge so it stays put. Do that for each page of the magazine. It will spread out and stand up on its own but you might have to encourage it or paperclip the front and back covers together. If you decide to embellish it, spraypaint it first, then spray it with spray adhesive (in a well-ventilated area blah blah blah) and add glitter. The one in the back is a black and white magazine and I didn't want to paint it but I will add glitter to it. The colored magazines are the ones I painted.

It's a great project to do with kids, but know that they won't make it through the entire process. But they can fold a few pages and sprinkle the glitter. The folding took me about an hour, but it all depends on how thick your magazine is.

So go ahead and start saving your magazines...you know you wanna make these next Christmas!

2 comments:

holly said...

My mom made these for us last year from books (not painted). Didn't think about using mags or painting. Yours look awesome!

Jen said...

Thanks!